Personalized Learning at Ashlawn
This school year is Ashlawn’s third year participating in APS’s Personalized Devices Initiative. Grades 2, 3 and 4 will be using iPads. The third and fourth grade will have the iPads used during the previous year and should bring them back to school during the first week of this school year. This years second grade students should have their iPads by the third week of September These personal learning devices will stay with the student through 5th grade as long as they are in an APS school.
The initiative is rooted in the district’s mission: “Arlington Public Schools instills a love of learning in its students and prepares them to be responsible and productive global citizens.” To prepare students for an ever-changing world, APS recognizes the need to engage students in learning experiences that prepare them for the world in which we live. To meet that goal, which is part of our 2011-17 APS Strategic Plan, our teachers are committed to fostering a personalized learning environment where each student is challenged and engaged in relevant and meaningful learning.
Benefits of Personalized Learning
While personalized learning is not new, technology is helping us to make greater strides toward this goal, and we see many wonderful benefits.
- Classrooms are student-centered and the teacher’s role is as facilitator to guide learning rather than just being gatekeeper or a single source of knowledge.
- Through personalized learning, students are challenged to think critically and use higher order level skills.
- Students are more engaged in learning when they are given more opportunities to take control of their learning.
- Teachers are able to offer immediate feedback so that students can make adjustments to their thinking and improve on their work.
- With collaboration tools, students and teachers are able to communicate easily both inside and outside of school.
- Students are exploring more creative ways to solve problems, express their ideas, generate new learning and develop skills to work as part of a team in the classroom and virtually.
These are the skills needed for success in college and careers in the 21st Century and APS is proud to offer students these high-quality learning experiences to prepare our students for their lives beyond high school.